Danger! Hazardous! Do not eat! These are just some of the warnings you'll see on toxicsubstances — meaning stuff that's poisonous and even deadly.
- Pronunciation: /ˈtɔksɪk/
- English Description: containing poison, or caused by poisonous substances
- Chinese Translation: 有毒的(You3 Du2 De)
- Spanish Translation: Tóxico
- STORY: Cobra bites, wild mystery mushrooms and strong chemicals are all toxic. So are certain people, if they have particularly mean personalities. Toxic is related to the word toxin, which is a kind of poison. It comes from the ancient Greek word toxikon, which means "poison for arrows." Some toxic arrows could come in handy for those toxic personalities...
- Toxic chemicals were spilled from the factory into the river.
- The metal has a relatively low toxicity to humans.
P.S: New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com