A referral sends someone somewhere, often for help or advice. You'll need areferral from your doctor in order to see a specialist.
- Pronunciation: / rɪ'fɜːr(ə)l/
- English description: the act of referring (as forwarding an applicant for employment or referring a matter to an appropriate agency)
- Synonyms: recommendation
- Chinese Translation: 推荐(tui1 jian4)
- Spanish Translation: la referencia
- ORIGIN: You could also receive a referral for a job, if someone passes along your application. If you're dealing with a big company or institution, you might get tired of the endless referrals from one department to another. Remember that referral has two r's in the middle, “rr,” like a growl.
- If you’re a hiring manager, go beyond your college alma mater, employee referrals, etc.
- In 24 percent of visits they discuss exercise; weight-reduction education, including referrals to other health professionals, occurred in 26 percent of visits.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary
Song of the Week: <Hey There Delilah>