An anomaly is an abnormality, a blip on the screen of life that doesn’t fit with the rest of the pattern. If you are a breeder of black dogs and one puppy comes out pink, that puppy is an anomaly.
- Pronunciation: / ə'nɑməli/
- English description: deviation from the normal or common order or form or rule
- Synonyms: anomalousness
- Chinese Translation: 异常(yi4 chang2)
- Spanish Translation: la anomalía
- ORIGIN: The noun anomaly comes from the Greek word anomolia, meaning "uneven” or “irregular.” When something is unusual compared to similar things around it, it’s the anomaly. If you are an Olympian who comes from a family of bookish types who all find it strenuous to walk the dog, you are an anomaly.
- No, what makes Anas an anomaly is the place he and those hockey skills call home.
- Once viewed as tragic anomalies, many childhood cancers may have their roots in inherited mutations.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary