Disintegration is when one thing splits into parts or just ceases to exist. When something is destroyed, broken up into pieces, or falls apart on its own, that’s disintegration.
- Pronunciation: /dɪs,ɪntə'greʃən/
- English Description: in a decomposed state
- Synonyms: decomposition
- Chinese Translation: 瓦解(wa3 jie3)
- Spanish Translation: la desintegración
- ORIGIN: If you know that integration brings things or people together, you won't be surprised that disintegration means things are coming apart. Disintegration is what happens when a company breaks into smaller companies or when a band splits up. Often, disintegration is physical — a bomb could cause the disintegration of its target. The decomposition (rotting) of a body is an example of disintegration. When something radioactive decays, that's disintegration, too. Disintegration is when it all falls apart.
- Blowing past that threshold, on the other hand, would stoke the disintegration of the entire ice sheet.
- The year has been marked by a gradual disintegration of Mr. Morgan’s life.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com