Your metabolism is the result of all the processes in your body working together to create the energy that keeps you going.
- Pronunciation: /mɛ'tæbəlɪzəm/
- English Description: a process occurring in living organisms
- Synonyms: metabolic process
- Chinese Translation: 新陈代谢(xin1 chen2 dai4 xie4)
- Spanish Translation: metabolismo
- ORIGIN: Your metabolism is the rate at which your body's many processes function, and it can be low, high, or somewhere in the middle. When you're younger, your high metabolism makes it easy to lose weight but as you get older your metabolism slows down and you might put on a few pounds. Exercising speeds up your metabolism. This word also refers to the sudden transformation of a larva into an adult in some animals.
- Eating several meals supposedly keeps the metabolism hyped up, leading to increased weight loss.
- That’s especially true for irisin—a hormone that appears in some animal studies to increase energy expenditure after physical activity and promote healthy metabolism.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com