Something that's atmospheric is related to a planet's atmosphere, or the gases that surround it. Atmospheric pollution can sometimes cause asthma and other breathing problems.
- Pronunciation: /,ætməs'fɛrɪk/
- English Description: relating to or located in the atmosphere
- Synonyms: freeair
- Chinese Translation: 大气层的(da4 qi4 ceng2 de)
- Spanish Translation: atmosférico
- ORIGIN: All planets have an atmosphere, layers of gas that are held close to them by their gravitational pull. The atmospheric conditions on Earth have allowed many life forms to develop, but global warming is a serious atmospheric problem that is getting worse. Every planet has its own unique atmospheric makeup. The adjective atmospheric comes from atmosphere, which stems from the Greek root words atmos, "steam or vapor," and spharia, "sphere or globe."
- Given the close proximity of the planet, this might cause substantial atmospheric losses.
- The weather pattern is the product of a complex dance between sea-surface temperatures and atmospheric conditions.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com