Is your team losing 15-0? Has your girlfriend just slapped your face? Dude, these are auguries — signs of how things are going to work out in the future. And these two examples don't look good.
- Pronunciation: /ˈɔɡjəri/
- English Description: an event as apprehended
- Chinese Translation: 前兆(qian2 zhao4)
- Spanish Translation: augurio
- STORY: In fact, not every augury is an ill omen, as the common phrase "augurs well for the future" suggests, but more often than not, it seems, an augury is a sign that the future will be none too rosy. Auguries are signs of what's to come, and it's wise not to ignore them.
- At other times the auguries are less clear-cut.
- But it is also an augury of the future of the Internet, mobile and media.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com