Gouge means stealing by overcharging. If your local gas station puts the price of gas way up because a storm is coming, you may say that the station owner gouges prices — and that's illegal.
- Pronunciation: /ɡaʊdʒ/
- English Description: rip off; ask an unreasonable price
- Chinese Translation: 欺诈(qi1 zha4)
- Spanish Translation: cobrar de más
- STORY: The verb gouge means to cut or carve. You can use special chisels to gouge linoleum for interesting design in printing. As a noun, a gouge is the tool you would use — instead of a flat-head chisel, a gouge has a trough — to make the gouge marks of the design. Another meaning of the verb gouge is an indentation in the surface of something. If you're not careful with the screwdriver, you'll accidentally gouge a hole in the wall.
- While I love the Fusion blade, I've always felt a tad gouged when I bought refills.
- Usually greedy 3rd parties trying to price gouge the uninformed.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com