Dire refers to situations or events that cause great fear and worry. A dire calamity causes much suffering.
- Pronunciation: /daɪə/
- English Description: extremely serious or terrible
- Chinese Translation: 可怕的(Ke3 Pa4 De)
- Spanish Translation: calamitoso
- STORY: If a family is in dire need, they need immediate help. Dire predictions or warnings tell us that a disaster may happen in the future. If you are trapped between the burning building behind you and the high cliffs in front of you, you might describe yourself as being in dire straits.
- Warnings of dire consequences that often don't come true
- The country is in dire need of food aid.
P.S: New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com