An expedition is an organized journey that is undertaken for a particular purpose, like a group of scientists launching an expedition to South America to seek out a new medicinal herb.
- Pronunciation: /ˌekspɪˈdɪʃən/
- English Description: a long and carefully organized journey, especially to a dangerous or unfamiliar place, or the people that make this journey
- Chinese Translation: 远征(Yuan3 Zheng1)
- Spanish Translation: expedición
- STORY: An expedition is no walk in the park. It's a serious journey, often with a very specific purpose undertaken by several people and lots of equipment. Sometimes, it can even be dangerous, like when the arctic adventurer was attacked by polar bears during an expedition to the Arctic. Needless to say, he hung up his explorer's hat after that expedition.
Following last year's avalanche, expedition leader Adrian Ballinger decided enough was enough.Reuters May 11, 2015
Read more about the expedition, and the search for house-sized waves of destruction, here.
P.S: New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com