Anything you push with your feet to control a machine, vehicle, or instrument is a pedal. When you use a sewing machine, you push the pedal with your foot to make the needle move up and down.
- Pronunciation: /ˈpedl/
- English Description: one of the two parts of a bicycle that you push round with your feet to make the bicycle go forward
- Chinese Translation: 踩踏板(Cai3 Ta4 Ban3)
- Spanish Translation: pedal
- STORY: When you see the letters ped, something related to the foot might just be afoot. Pedestrians walk around by foot, and a pedicure is when your tootsies get the spa treatment. Those letters don’t always relate to feet, but it does with pedal, the noun or verb. The controls on the floor of your car are pedals, and if you put the pedal to the metal, it means you press as hard as you can on the gas pedal. Woohoo!
- Guitar texture was paramount in Ride's work, and the group found those tones through use of myriad effects pedals and electronic units. Los Angeles Times Apr 1, 2015
- Andrew pedalled up the road towards the town centre.
P.S: New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com.