An autocracy is a government controlled by one person with absolute power. As unlimited power doesn't usually bring out the best in people, autocracies are often brutal regimes.
- Pronunciation: /ɔ'tɑkrəsi/
- English description: a political system governed by a single individual
- Synonyms: autarchy
- Chinese Translation: 独裁政治(du2 cai2 zheng4 zhi4)
- Spanish Translation: la autocracia
- ORIGIN: The word autocracy comes from the Greek roots auto ("self") and kratos ("power"). If your boss dictates your every move and leaves you no say at all in how you do your work, then you're not in a democratic workplace, you're in an autocracy.
- Sadly, the very states that preach individual liberty and personal choice have chosen autocracy over democracy, and homogenization over experimentation.
- Building a white elephant or two is normal for autocracies.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com