An oddity is anything strange or unusual. Wearing ear muffs during a heat wave would be considered an oddity, because most people wouldn't do that..
- Pronunciation: /'ɑdəti/
- English description: eccentricity that is not easily explained
- Synonyms: oddness
- Chinese Translation: 古怪(gu3 guai4)
- Spanish Translation: la rareza
- ORIGIN: Anything odd is weird, strange, unusual, or bizarre. Oddities are things like that. Calling good friends "sir" would be an oddity, since that word is usually used in formal situations. Oddities can also be objects, especially unusual objects or souvenirs someone might collect."
- It's a melange of scenes filled with oddities, be it a coffin in a conservatory or a disembodied head in a crystal ball.
- What started as an oddity in European politics has quickly become a disturbing pattern.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com