Date: Sunday, July 3, 2016
USA: Rick | Argentina: Johny | Russia: Diana | Iran: Behnam, Behare, Taregh, Meriem, Amir, Hayat | Pakistan: Ayisha, Ashfaq, Adnan | Romania: Flory | Albania: Daylight | Morocco: Imad | Tunisia: Amin | Nepal: Grace | Mongolia: Ganaa | Brazil: Ciane | Philippines: Jesson | Bangladesh: Mohiuddin, Asik, Azamu | Switzerland: George | Turkey: Amadeus
Panel PRO (Team A): Ayisha, Mohiuddin, Imad, Amir (fastline).
Panel CON (Team B): Djamila, George, Amine, Meriem.
Audience (Team C): Johny, Taregh, Azamu, Ashfaq, Flory, Diana, Behnam, Behare, Daylight, Grace, Hayat, Amadeus, Ganaa, Ciane, Asik, Jesson, Adnan.
Team A summary:
- In order to be on good terms with people, we should be predictable because they should know what we have in mind and can anticipate our thoughts and actions.
- Predictable people know how to deal with all subjects and they can manage their time more efficiently.
- Although there have been some people that succeed at exams and other things without any previous preparation whatsoever, it’s not an indicator that being unpredictable will always bring good results.
- Most of the inventions of humanity and the achievements of scientists were successful thanks to their hard work and their dedication taking their work very seriously. Not by mere chance.
- Being predictable helps people keep their relationships since they can trust in another if they know what to expect from each other.
- If people are not able to predict other people’s behavior, there will be chaos.
- We need to be able to rely on people and keep a good relationship with them and being spontaneous does not help.
- Predictability in a professional, workplace environment is very important, helping to make sure that a company or business runs both effectively and efficiently.
- Predictability is also important at a national and global level, especially with things like economic markets.
Team B summary:
- Being predictable and being able to “read” people’s mind can be nice but then we will have a pretty predictable life. We all have our routines and habits but in order to have a more amusing and dynamic life, we can also be spontaneous sometimes.
- In order to sometimes enjoy your life you ought to also be spontaneous and make decision that make life more fresh and interesting.
- It’s good to be predictable but it is easier say than done. People can’t always keep the same attitude and meet expectations all their lives.
- Being predictable especially when it comes to things like interviews and meeting a possible customer or business partner is like showing a double face because in order to have a successful meeting you should plan and know the possible answers you may get. Also you should develop some kind of strategy that shows how people react when things do not go as planned. In informal settings like being among friends or just being natural with another person, everything comes out as you feel it and it’s more genuine, sincere and truthful than planning the whole moment step by step to lead situations to a desired end.
- A predictable life is boring because the best moments happen when they are unplanned and come from the unknown. It also exposes you to a whole new world of experiences which you may not otherwise have enjoyed.
- Spontaneous people are considered to be exciting, adventurous and fun. They’re noticed for enjoying the unexpected.
- Spontaneity opens doors of opportunities which otherwise will be closed giving room for growth.
- Sometimes spontaneous actions result in disappointed outcomes but that’s okay because life can throw challenges at us every now and then and by being spontaneous you can learn how to be flexible and go with the flow.
Team C summary:
- Being predictable is more useful than being spontaneous because it’s easier to manipulate and control situations.
- Predictability gives more time to react because when we know what is going to happen we can prepare ourselves to what can happen as a result, the probabilities to fail is lower.
- Spontaneity can be useful in the entertaining part of our lives. It can spice up our routines.
- Let’s not forget that spontaneity can increase the amount of adrenaline in our system which plays an essential role in our bodies and we shall not underestimate the importance of this hormone.
- Having the ability to predict has been one of key skills for humans to succeed as species.
- Saying that it is better to be human than being a robot because they are different is not entirely accurate since the human body itself is a biological robot.
- There are benefits in both choices.
- Both are equally important.
- Some people tend to have control of everything in their lives and there are things in this life which we can’t have control over and people should find the way to make things work despite the lack of plan or events that just happen. We need to find a balance.
- A predictable-decision-making person always thinks twice before making any decision.
- “Expectation is the mother of all frustrations”: There are more chances to get hurt if we expect too much from people and more chances to disappoint people if they expect too much from us.
- Diana voted for team A.
- Flory remained undecided.
- Behnam remained undecided.
- Ciane voted for team B.
- Azamu voted for team A.
- Jesson voted for team B.
- Taregh voted for team B.
- Johny remained undecided.
Team B won this debate. Thanks everyone for participating. Below are the links to listen to this discussion.