Date: Saturday, August 22nd 2015
Participants (from 9 countries):
India: Sunita | Tunisia: Marwa | USA: Rick, Rebecca | Bangladesh: J.A. Riya | Vietnam: Kelly | Argentina: Johny | UAE: Mubarak, Moni | Algeria: Kamal | Egypt: Alamah
Panel PRO: Sunita, Marwa, Mubarak, Rick
Panel CON: Johny, Riya, Kamal, Alamah
AUDIENCE: J.A, Rebecca, Kelly
Panel PRO summary:
- Teachers cannot scold students in public when learning through internet.
- While studying through internet, a person can do other things while learning.
- The person can choose what to study according to their level.
- Reduces the time.
- People can access the materials anywhere, anytime.
- Using internet is a much more focused kind of studying.
- Students learn how to be self-reliable.
- Nowadays the Internet is everywhere.
- You can contact many teachers from your own room.
- Online education can give flexibility; a person can study at any given time of the day.
- Is much cheaper.
- Internet is a very useful teaching tool used even by schools and universities.
- Some statistics shows that some students do better in exams if they come from studying online and the reason is because studying online requires a certain level of self-discipline.
- Online learning provides self-discipline which you don’t get on traditional school environment.
- Provides a much more focused environment.
- Internet learning is effective and thus, very popular.
- Online Learners can test out of or skim over materials already mastered and concentrate efforts in mastering.
Panel CON summary:
- Going to Schools would help students to learn how to deal with teachers, class mates and their surroundings.
- Schools provide a reinforcement of the teaching of values and discipline.
- In a school, a student will have the opportunity to find more friends who will help them and go along with them through their lives.
- Nowadays, Schools are improving their selection regarding to the teachers staff, training teachers to help children in having a better education than what they would have if they learn at home.
- A student can learn how to socialize with other students.
- There are skillful teachers with better experiences in teaching and dealing with students.
- Schools can provide many methods of teaching.
- Internet alone cannot fill all gaps in the education process.
- One uses the internet as last resource when they don’t get opportunities in schools.
- Internet becomes ineffective when it comes to practical subjects which need the guidance and help of teachers, materials, space and proper environment.
- People’s first option is to submit their kids into school rather than making them learn through internet.
- University students seek to study their career in universities and not in internet alone. They rely on internet only when they do not get admission in these institutions.
- Internet learning promotes and reinforces laziness.
- Internet is not available in all people’s houses.
- Internet may not affordable for some people.
- There are lots of distractions while studying at home.
- Often, the materials provided by the internet are not reliable or even correct whereas the materials provided by the school have been tested.
- When the school staff knows the students, they develop certain level of care and they can bestow upon students some flexibility as well.
J.A, Kelly and Rebecca left early thus, the moderator was asked to choose the winner. Aziz chose the team B as the winner. Congratulations team B!.
We are congratulating Aziz for his first performance as moderator of our debates. Aziz, you did an awesome job! Hats off!.
Below is the link to listen to our chat:
For people who did not join the live discussion, feel free to contribute the ideas in the comment blanks below.