Date: Sunday, August 23rd 2015
Participants (from 10 countries):
Brazil: Leandro | USA: Rick, Jami | Tunisia: Marwa | Morocco: Aziz | India: Sunita | Vietnam: Kelly; Huong | Bangladesh: J.A.; Dilowar | China: Miranda | Iran: Rojhano | Argentina: Johny
Panel PRO: Leandro, Rick
Panel CON: Marwa, Johny, Dilowar, Aziz, Jami, Sunita, Houng
AUDIENCE: Rojhano, J.A., Miranda, Kelly
Panel PRO summary:
- Children need the female and male role model.
- The child could feel depression if one of the parents is not present.
- There are things than only a mother can see or do and in some other cases things that only a father can see or do.
- Children need the paternal and maternal influence.
- One of several factors that affects a child stability is the influence of a mother and father separately.
- A child is a big responsibility to be handled by just one person. It would affect the emotional and financial stability of a person as this will ultimately affect the child in many aspects.
- Single parents often find themselves in a lot of stress between a career and working in the household.
- Having two parents will increase the income of the household which will allow children to have better opportunities for having a better education.
Panel CON summary:
- When all that a child need is love, it doesn’t matter whether the adopter is single or married.
- The child will be happier having just one parent rather than having none.
- There are too many children in orphanages waiting for a home and narrowing their odds of finding a home by allowing only couples to adopt, will increase the sadness and rate of orphans.
- If the person who wants to adopt a child is self-sufficient and capable, he/she should be allowed to adopt.
- As long as the person responsible for the child can support the child emotionally and financially, it should be ok.
- In a household where the parents are famous people and they keep a busy life, they actually are not around the child as much as they should and it is often a different person who is with them all the time. (Babysitter).
- There are a lot of homeless children, who need love and care, if they could be adopted, even by one person, that child could be saved.
- A child can be a blessing and bring happiness and meaning to a person as well as to the child.
- When we adopt, we try to contribute to the country’s economy.
- If the reason for forbidding people to adopt as a single parent is because the child needs both figures, then all those children whom have lost one of their parents, either for some disease, or for some accident, or for some other reason, then they would lose the only parent that has left.
- All participants in the Team C (Audience) left early as well as the moderator (Lala) therefore, Marwa assumed the role of moderator as well as judge. She voted for both teams as the winners.
There was a bonus chat after the debate and the topic was: If you could be an animal, what animal would you be and why. It was a topic held two years ago but since then there have been new members so we repeated this fun chat. This is included in the recording file below.
For people who did not join the live discussion, feel free to contribute the ideas in the comment blanks below.