Date: Sunday, August 2nd 2015
Participants (from 12 countries):
USA: Rick | Sudan: Muhammed | Tunisia: Marwa | India: Sunita | France: Tania | Morocco: Aziz | Mauritania: Boboty | Japan: Thiago | Vietnam: Huong | Philippines: Lala | Argentina : Johny | Iran: Rojhano
Panel PRO: Lala, Huong, Rick, Sunita, Rojhano.
Panel CON: Tania, Marwa, Aziz, Boboty, Muammed
AUDIENCE: Thiago, Johny, Rojhano
Panel PRO summary:
- Reconstructive surgery is a positive thing after a serious accident.
- Plastic surgery is more affordable and therefore more accessible to more people.
- Although women use it for improving their beauty, it's not the only reason, it can be used to solve birth deformities and it helps the self-esteem of some people.
- It can also help address physical health conditions, such as in cases of breast reductions. Women with large breasts often have back problems because of this.
- If people have the money, they can be happier by doing it if they think they need it or if they want it so badly.
- It’s positive if the surgeon is skillful and the patient has the money.
- It's a multi-billion dollar industry and contributes to the global economy.
- Whether we like or not, we live in a society where many people benefit from it. It provides employment for doctors and medical staff and in our society today, where physical appearance is a factor in obtaining a job, patients can benefit in job employment opportunities.
- Nowadays cosmetic surgery is improving because many women are undergoing it and many are seeing positive results.
- Cosmetic surgery is becoming safer and safer. Legal cases such as malpractice is helping to ensure quality medical procedures and qualified physicians and staff. Technology in surgery and in implants are also improving
- Plastic surgery, like most surgeries, is relatively safe. Anesthesia-related deaths in the USA occur in 1 in 250,000 procedures, says the American Society of Anesthesiologists. So the data shows that the risk is very small relative to the number of surgeries conducted.
- The importance here is how far would you go to look perfect? As we have seen many people are addicted with cosmetic surgery. If it is under control, it is a positive thing.
o Note: Team A was posting some data and statistics in the chat in our skype call to support their position. These data maybe be too long to post in this summary but here is an sample:
Global Cosmetic Surgery & Services Market Analysis 2015-2019 is the latest analysis on this vertically growing market. It is currently worth over $20 billion and is set to rise to over $27 billion by 2019.
This comprehensive report is supported by 60 tables & figures over 275 pages and is presented as follows:
The global market for cosmetic surgery services by the following sub-categories is presented:
•By Segment (Body Contouring, Facial Reconstruction/Rejuvenation, Cosmetic Implants)
•By Geography (North America, Europe, Asia/Pacific, Latin America)
•By Product Segment (Facial injectables, Botox, Derma fillers, Neuromodulators)
•By Energy Based and Other Devices (Home-use Aesthetic Devices)
•By Company (e.g Allergen, Mentor, Galderma, Valeant, Merz, Syneron, Zetiq, Ulthera, Cynosure, Solta/Valeant, Alma/Fosun Pharma)
Panel CON summary:
- We have to learn to love ourselves in our natural way.
- If the reasons for considering plastic surgery have a solution that can be worked out without the surgery, better to work them out in a non-surgical way. Often plastic surgery is not done for health purposes but for appearances reasons.
- People should love way they are, and accept themselves for who they are and not to please other people.
- Sometimes the procedures are not good and people end up with a worse appearance.
- It can be a waste of money because when people spend their money in that, they lose opportunity to use that money for helping others or to do an honorable act with it.
- People should build their confidence by being accepted for the kind of person they are and not for what they want to be.
- A natural face is more beautiful than an artificial one.
- Being young or old is something natural, and it should be ok to be normal and not to be afraid of aging.
- We should worry about our inner values rather than about our physical look.
- It’s different if it’s for medical reasons, but it’s if just to enhance people’s beauty or for changing appearance, it’s not good.
- The most common reason people go for cosmetic surgery is because they hate how they look. They should love themselves in the way they already are.
- Standard beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, beauty is not something you can change artificially.
- The menace of the sides effect is often presented in places with insufficient technologies or lower level of skills.
- Cosmetic surgery is very expensive; people keep themselves from many other such as food or better education for their kids.
- In 2000, 2,100 people died from complications and adverse reactions among more than 70 million surgeries, the National Center for Health Statistics says.
- Some women only do it to please men.
- People should be always eligible for jobs based on their qualifications not on their appearance.
- What's going to last forever are people’s attitude and actions and who they were, not their appearance.
- Thiago left early
- Johny voted for both teams in this was because both teams gave very good reasons for their position.
There was a bonus chat which consisted on reading a tongue twister. This will be posted in a separate blog.
Below is the link to listen to this debate:
For people who did not join the live discussion, feel free to contribute the ideas in the comment blanks below.