Date: Sunday, August 9th 2015
Participants (from 13 countries):
Mauritania: Boboty | Morocco: Aziz | Bangladesh: J.A., Mohammed | Iran: Parmida, Muhammad, Rojhano | USA: Jami, Rick | India: Yusuf | Philippines: Lala | China: Miranda | Brazil: Leandro | Argentina: Johny | Egypt: Hema | Tanzania: Samya | Japan: Thiago
Panel PRO: Boboty, Aziz, Rojhano, J.A., Mohammed, Parmida and Muhammad (Iran)
Panel CON: Jami, Rick, Yusuf and Lala,
AUDIENCE: Miranda, Leandro, Johny, Hema, Samya and Thiago
Panel PRO summary:
- Big cities provide more opportunity to improve the quality of people’s lives because of industry and more job opportunities.
- Big cities often provide a better education system and a larger variety ofschools, giving people more choice.
- Modern transportation and communication systems are better and more accessible in big cities.
- Small town have weak internet, students who need it will not have a good internet speed for their studies.
- Small town transportation services are slower than in big cities, one often has to wait too long for a bus or taxi.
- Big cities have better security services. (police, security guards, etc)
- Big cities have more offices and companies therefore more job opportunities.
- Education in the country side is more challenging whereas in big cities there are more and better facilities, more teachers, more subjects, difference resources and more libraries.
- The entertainment in big cities are far better, more options for entertainment, theater, music, clubs, movie theater, etc.
- Gender inequality is more often seen in small areas whereas in big cities that is less common.
- In big cities there are more services availabilities even though they are more expensive one can still find them available.
- Professionals and clerks are more qualified in big cities.
- Women from small towns fancy men from big cities.
Panel CON summary:
- In rural areas or small towns one can have a simpler life, and its not so hard to live or to enjoy a peaceful life.
- People are friendlier in a small town.
- Depends on where you are, in some parts of the world it doesn’t matter whether small town or big cities people treat each other equality.
- Life is safer in small towns because there is often less crime.
- In small towns, people can work from home and still have a good job.
- Life in a rural area or in a small town doesn’t necessarily have to be hard because the today’s technology allows people to do things they couldn’t do in the past, including telecommuting etc..
- Quality of life is important, less stress is advisable and one can live a less stressful life in a small town.
- The more we build cities the less natural places to go and enjoy we have.
- Air is cleaner in small towns or country sides than in big cities.
- Tourists only go to a small portion of the cities.
- People who are living in small towns are lazier whereas people in big cities are all the time busy.
Johny remained undecided
Hema voted for the team B
Thiago voted for the team A
Leandro, Miranda, Hema and Samya left early.
For this tie, the moderator was asked to make a vote however, Marwa also voted for both teams and this means both teams won this debate, congratulations!
Below are the links to listen to our chat:
For people who did not join the live discussion, feel free to contribute the ideas in the comment blanks below.