Date: Friday, May 22th 2015
Participants (from 12 countries):
India: Yusuf, Sunita | China: Miranda, Angie, Brady, Tata | USA: Rebecca, Rick | Algeria: Bilel | Tunisia: Marwa | Brazil: Leandro | Perú: Denise | Vietnam: Kelly | Colombia: Sandra | Hong Kong: Dickens | Indonesia: Tary | Argentina: Johny
Team A: (Yes) Yusuf, Miranda, Angie, Rebecca, Bilel
Team B: (No) Marwa, Leandro, Denise, Kelly, Brady, Sandra
Team C: (On the fence) Rick, Dickens, Tata, Sunita, Tary
Team A summary:
- For non English speakers it is more difficult to understand when they read English to each other due the different accents and mispronunciations.
- Non English speakers found difficulties in adapting their enunciation to both major English accents (American and British).
- Speaking and reading is a much more difficult activity to do because it requires more concentration and certain pronunciation skills.
- Reading is a much more expressive activity and it requires more concentration.
- From the technology standpoint, there are many tools to correct people's writing but there is none to correct their speaking, thus people must relay on their own skills.
- Vocabulary and grammar is important but if you don't know how to read them or pronounce the words correctly, people will not understand you and you would fail at communicating.
- Speaking takes more time and mental effort.
- When someone is not good at handwriting, reading become more difficult.
- In writing, you have more time to think than speaking and this makes reading more difficult.
- When you read, you have to understand not only the English grammar, but also the subject. So, it stops being only about English language.
- The analogy was used, when you watch TV sports, it might require more concentration, as it is a passive task, compared to playing in sports which is an active task.
Team B summary:
- For Non English speakers it is difficult to get use to the new grammar and vocabulary.
- Lack of confidence in using correct grammar, and vocabulary makes difficult to use the language properly.
- Reading is easier because we don't have to worry about grammar.
- We wont understand many things if we don't read the topic first.
- While reading, we don't have to be aware of grammar which makes the communication more fluent and easier in contrast with writing which requires much more efforts and skills.
- Writing includes many things: the way you make people understand you, and the way your describe your idea.
- Some people have lots of troubles in describing things by words but they find writing easier.
- Technology stunts our composing skills, whereas writing in a natural and original way is an acquired talent and as all talents, it requires practice and hard work.
- Serious writing requires a certain level of writing skills which make it more important therefore more difficult.
- In some cases, it depends on the level of writing required, informal correspondence vice writing a technical paper, or a financial statement of work requires vey strong writing skills.
- In some cases, reading can be a rote of memorization by practicing vocabulary.
Team C Summary:
- Rick: Team B.
- Tata: Team B.
Team B won, but acknowledging that:
- Both complement each other.
- Both are critical.
- Both are needed when it comes to communicating effectively.
Below are the links to listen to our chat:
For people who did not join the live discussion, feel free to contribute the ideas in comment blanks below.