An orthodontist is a type of dentist who specializes in straightening crooked teeth. If you go see an orthodontist, you could walk out with a mouth full of braces!
- Pronunciation: / ,ɔrθə'dɑntɪst/
- English description: a dentist specializing in the prevention or correction of irregularities of the teeth
- Synonyms: dental practitioner
- Chinese Translation: 矫形牙医(jiao3 xing2 ya2 yi1)
- Spanish Translation: el ortodoncista
- ORIGIN: A dentist can fill cavities and encourage you to floss, but an orthodontist can help straighten crooked teeth or misaligned jaws. The word orthodontist comes from the Greek word orthos for “straight, correct” and odon for "tooth." The most common thing an orthodontist does is provide braces for kids and adults. An orthodontist can help if you have a serious tooth or jaw problem or if you just want your teeth to look better.
- The analysis is part of an ongoing project involving archaeologists, computer engineers, radiologists, and orthodontists.
- She was off to take her then twelve-year-old daughter, Liv, to the orthodontist.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary