To the President, protecting our nation's security is of paramount importance — it's at the very top of his to-do list.
- Pronunciation: / 'pærəmaʊnt/
- English description: having superior power and influence
- Synonyms: predominant
- Chinese Translation: 首要的(shou3 yao4 de)
- Spanish Translation: primordial
- ORIGIN: Paramount goes way beyond "important." It's absolutely critical. Something that is of paramount importance has a great urgency to it. Getting your oil changed is important, but making sure your car's brakes are working before you drive down a steep, icy slope is absolutely paramount.
- With an act of his stature, who many had presumed to have quietly retired, keeping it a secret was paramount.
- "There will be inevitable additional pressure on the system and the paramount concern of magistrates is for accessible justice to be protected," he said.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary