Condescension is an insulting way of talking to other people, as if they were stupid or ignorant. Condescension is rude and patronizing.
- Pronunciation: /'lɪnɪəmənt/
- English Description: the trait of displaying arrogance by patronizing those considered inferior
- Synonyms: disdainfulness
- Chinese Translation: 屈尊(qu1 zun1)
- Spanish Translation: la altivez
- ORIGIN: Treating someone with condescension is the opposite of treating them with respect. Condescension is full of arrogant and snooty attitude, and people who practice condescension treat others like inferior idiots. Sarcasm goes well with condescension if you're trying to be a jerk. You can almost hear the word descent in condescension, so think of someone acting all high and mighty, looking down at everyone else.
- The conflict is explored with a refreshing lack of condescension.
- Met with condescension and scorn, he triumphs with homespun humor and sly self-deprecation.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com