When you're dumbfounded, you're amazed. Being dumbfounded is an extreme form of being surprised or caught off guard.
- Pronunciation: /dʌm'faʊndɪd/
- English Description: taken unawares or suddenly and feeling wonder or astonishment
- Chinese Translation: 惊呆的(jing1 dai1 de)
- Spanish Translation: boquiabierto
- STORY: Being dumbfounded is not something that happens every day: this is a word that means something similar to astonished andgobsmacked. Only things that are extraordinary can dumbfound you. This word plays on an older meaning of dumb that means unable to speak. When you're dumbfounded, you're so astounded and shocked that you can't even speak. Save this word for occasions that are truly unusual and amazing.
- “I don’t know what to say, I was just dumbfounded. I don’t believe there’s no word to describe it,” Gardner said.
- Newt had read the message aloud for those who couldn’t see the paper, but instead of erupting in confusion, the Gladers all stood dumbfounded.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com