Overweening is a negative term meaning arrogant or excessive. People can be described as having overweening pride or overweening ambition. It's too much and not good.
- Pronunciation: /,ovɚ'winɪŋ/
- English Description: having or showing an exaggerated opinion of your importance, ability, etc
- Chinese Translation: 自负的(zi4 fu4 de)
- Spanish Translation: arrogante
- STORY: Confidence and pride are okay in moderation. Overweening means having too much of it though so that it overtakes the rest of your personality, and not in a good way. If your football team has won every game of the season, they need to watch that they don't become overweening and start playing games as if they have already won.
- He served up the sort of blunt talk that his supporters praise along with lines that critics cite when they label him an overweening narcissist.
- In this particular case, the depth of this teeming assemblage may better be expressed in obvious flaws than in overweening talent.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com