A hemisphere is half of a sphere. If it’s a cold winter in the northern hemisphere, take a winter getaway to sunbathe somewhere in the southern hemisphere.
- Pronunciation: /ˈhemɪsfɪə/
- English Description: a half of the earth, especially one of the halves above and below the equator
- Chinese Translation: 半球(Ban4 Qiu2)
- Spanish Translation: hemisferio
- STORY: Hemisphere comes from the Greek, and combines the prefix hemi-, for "half," with sphere, or "perfectly round ball." We talk about the earth as divided at the equator into the northern and southern hemispheres (or divided at the prime meridian into eastern and western hemispheres). In biology, there are two cerebral, or brain, hemispheres — also known as the right and left sides of the brain.
In April, the CPC estimated there was a 60 percent chance that it will last through the Northern Hemisphere autumn.Reuters May 14, 2015
At issue is the anatomy of the brain's largest fiber bundle structure, the corpus callosum, which connects the brain's two hemispheres.
P.S: New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com