Consolation is something that makes someone feel better after they're disappointed or sad.
- Pronunciation: /ˌkɔnsəˈleɪʃən/
- English Description: something that makes you feel better when you are sad or disappointed
- Chinese Translation: 安慰(An1 Wei4)
- Spanish Translation: consolación
- STORY: This is a word for things that try to console someone. A consolation prize isn't as good as first prize, but it's better than nothing. A hug is little consolation when you've had your heart broken. You give someone consolation when try to cheer them up. Consolation can be the act of making someone feel better, like trying to make them laugh, but it can also be something that makes someone happy, like a plate of warm cookies.
In his fourth event, the 400-meter freestyle, he pulled out of the consolation finals after failing to qualify for the “A” finals.Washington Post Apr 18, 2015
The Sabres will pick second and the chance to land a highly touted consolation prize in Boston University freshman center Jack Eichel
P.S: New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com