A sociopath is a person with a mental illness that manifests in extremely antisocial behavior and the inability to distinguish right from wrong. You're probably right to be afraid of asociopath.
- Pronunciation: /'sosɪopæθ/
- English description: someone with a sociopathic personality; a person with an antisocial personality disorder (`psychopath' was once widely used but has now been superseded by `sociopath')
- Synonyms: psychopath
- Chinese Translation: 反社会的人(fan3 she4 hui4 de ren2)
- Spanish Translation: el sociópata
- ORIGIN: Pathology means illness, and so socio- pathology means social illness. If someone is a sociopath, that means that they have a social sickness––they lack the ability to be social. Many movies and TV crime shows feature plots involving sociopaths, but hopefully the TV is the only place you ever encounter sociopaths.
- Hardy infuses him with enough lonely, belligerent conviction that he comes across not just as a self-justifying coward, but a true sociopath.
- The problem isn’t with passengers, though the evidence demonstrates that many passengers are little better than sociopaths acting only for their own good.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com