Rivalry is the act of competing for the same thing against another person. Your rivalry with your older sister is amusing to the family but very annoying to her.
- Pronunciation: /'ænθəm/
- English description: the act of competing as for profit or a prize
- Synonyms: competition
- Chinese Translation: 竞争(jing4 zheng1)
- Spanish Translation: la rivalidad
- ORIGIN: Rivalry comes from the noun rival, the person you compete against. Often a rivalry starts when people want the same reward — and their talents are just about equal. Your rivalry for the lead in the play at the local theater isn't between you and George Clooney — it's between you and the other guy who also had a great audition.
- Authorities have said the incident apparently was spurred by a football rivalry, although Carter maintains that it was a joke.
- But it's a good rivalry: fun, not bitter, added spice rather than actual hatred.
*New word description, story and part of "EXAMPLE SENTENCE" are cited in Vocabulary.com