Date: Sunday May 15, 2016
Participants (from 16 countries):
USA: Rick | Argentina: Johny | Iran: Rojhano, Behnam, Hanieh, Elham, Amy, Taregh, Zivar | Mauritania: Boboty | Philippines: Mitchz, Mhikie, Jesson | Sudan: Seif | Tunisia: Marwa | France: Djamila | Algeria: Soso | Egypt: Haitham | Azerbaijan: Salima, Guineyli | Pakistan: Naemullah, Khizar, Adnan | Switzerland: George | Iraq: Zahir | Russia: Salavat | Bangladesh: Azamu
Panel PRO (Team A): Elham, Behnam, Boboty, Jesson, Rojhano, Zivar
Panel CON (Team B): Taregh, Marwa, Hanieh, Mitchz, Johny, Djamila, Soso, Salima
Audience (Team C): Amy, Mhikie, Haitham, Salima
Joined late: George, Guineyli, Naemullah, Zahir, Salavat, Noorola, Khizar, Azamu, Adnan
Team A summary:
- Not wearing the appropriate clothing is being immature and comes across as being disrespectful towards other people.
- Beaches should be the most important place to have rules about clothing.
- Not wearing the appropriate clothing can have impacts on people from different cultures.
- A beach is a public place which means people should not have complete freedom, their actions and appearance has a direct impact on others.
- Having rules will bring more freedom and peace.
- If we don’t limit what people can do, they will do whatever they want.
- Children are easily influenced and a person's appearance can impact the way that children think.
- Some families are conservative and for them it could be gross and disrespectful if people do not wear something more modest in appearance.
- People can take pictures of you if you wear embarrassing clothes.
Team B summary:
- Sometimes we don’t need to have laws to know what is appropriate and what’s not.
- Some places should not need to have rules because it’s common sense; people should know better already.
- Obliging people to wear certain things instead of others is not freedom.
- People should wear something but the type of swimming suite they choose is up to them.
- We don’t own the beaches anyway so we shouldn’t be going about telling other people what they can and what they cannot wear.
Team C summary:
- Every place needs to have rules.
- Amy voted for team A
- Mhikie voted for team B.
It was a tie. Thanks everyone for participating. Below are the links to listen to this discussion.