Date: Saturday, January 9th 2016
Participants (from 13 countries):
USA: Rick, Jami | Argentina: Johny | Iran: Noorola, Behnam, Taregh, Amy | Pakistan: Ayisha | Tunisia: Amine, Marwa | Philippines: Lala | Mongolia: Ganaa | Japan: Masato | Romania: Flory | Nepal: Grace | Sudan: Seif | Brazil: Leandro | Indonesia: Rozi.
Host and Moderator: Rick
Panel PRO (Team A): Noorola, Leandro, Grace, Jami
Panel CON (Team B): Taregh, Amine, Amy
Audience (Team C): Johny, Seif, Marwa, Lala, Ganaa, Rozi, Masato, Flory
Late: Behnam, Ayisha
Team A summary:
- Good Attitude includes motivation, positive behavior and responsibility.
- One thing leads to the other. If you have one; you can have the other one because a good attitude helps workers gain experience faster.
- When a co-worker shows a good attitude, he/she can be accepted and assimilated faster by the rest of the workers.
- For a person without experience, it’s essential to have a good attitude so he/she can be given the opportunity in the first place to gain experience.
- Experience without good attitude won’t take a person far. Even experienced people need to have a good attitude if they wish to accomplish their goals.
- Less experienced people with good attitude will achieve more objectives.
- Good attitude will lead people to success; people with only experience without good attitude will not be successful in their job.
- Good attitude motivates people to learn many things.
- If there is a will there is a way.
- If we need call a repairman to fix our appliances, if we notice the person hasn’t a good attitude, we immediately feel he won’t do a good job so we avoid calling these kinds of people. Many people identify with this feeling therefore it represents a problem for the repairmen with bad attitude because they have fewer job opportunities.
- In cases where people have just graduated from universities, they obviously don’t have experience so employers would certainly have to focus on their attitude.
- A good attitude can make the difference in the very beginning, with your interview. An employer, while looking for experience, will also want to hire people that are motivated, and want to be part of the company's success.
- Experience can be learned overtime, a good attitude is inherent and can propel you forward.
Team B summary:
- Absent experience, the person won’t know what, how, when, where and who to do the job with.
- Experienced people do their job with fewer mistakes.
- Experienced people will perform their work better because they know exactly what they work for.
- Attitude is the direct result of experience.
- Good attitude without experiences will not enhance work performance.
- The accumulation of experiences over time is what makes somebody more effective in doing his/her job.
- Experience means skills: Having motivation may not be as useful without any skill. When it comes to performing successfully any job, skills are much more important than motivation.
- When people have experience they show that they have a good attitude to cope up with the job.
Before moving to team C, the moderator gave both teams A and B an opportunity to ask questions.
- First Question (Noorola): “Do you believe that a candidate for a job position without any knowledge will do the job correctly?”
By studying at school you got the theory, and the work is how you put the theory into practice. But without experience, the person won’t know anything. So he/she would need two or three years’ experience to do it in a good way. With that experience he/she will do it with fewer mistakes.
Noorola’s Rebuttal: The recently graduated from university, despite lacking of experience, is not totally absent of knowledge and preparation for doing the job, because that is exactly why they go to university for: universities prepare people to perform well in their job in at least a minimum level. Experience is a bonus.
- Second Question (Noorola): “To choose a leader, which one do you prefer, a person with good attitude without any experiences or the one with experiences but don’t have a good attitude?”
Taregh didn’t want to answer it because he considered that there’s no relationship with the topic; the topic was related to success at work. However Amine proposed to look at the question in a different way: “if you are ill and you have two doctors as neighbors, one of them has good attitude but no experience and the other one has experience but not so good attitude, which one will you call?” Most people would choose the experienced one and this prove that experience is much more important as oppose to attitude. Though Noorola would choose the one with good attitude.
In the end of discussion audience (team C) gave their opinion about the topic.
Experience is an important tool to show your quality; the more you experience the more knowledge you have and you know more about how to cope up with with your job. To have experience means you have learned from your mistakes. The more mistakes you make, the more experience you gain. Marwa remained in team C.
Masato: “Without any experiences we don’t get any job.” Masato voted for team B.
Flory and Johny:
They considered that both experience and good attitude are important to have a successful career. They remained in team C too.
Success is relative. It varies from person to person, without good attitude is impossible to be an effective, useful performer and attitude helps increase productivity. Good attitude is the foundation of success.
Even though Behnam’s opinion sounds obvious, he didn’t vote for any team.
Seif voted for team A.
- Masato B
- Johny C
- Marwa C
- Flory C
- Seif A
The Final result for this debate was that both team won. Thanks so much for participating! There was a bonus chat after the debate and the topic was: “If you met a ghost, what would you say to it?”
Below are the links to listen to this discussion.