Date: Saturday, December 19th 2016
Participants (from 17 countries):
Pakistan: Ayisha, Rose, Usaid, Hafsa, Usman | Sweden: Atena | USA: Rick, Ohnie, Jami | Morocco: Imad,Zaineb | Iran: Behnam, Noorola, Taregh, Hiwa | Bangladesh: Mohiuddin, Riya | Sudan: Seif, Esam | Argentina: Johny | China: Liu Caixia | Malaysia: Faten | Nepal: Grace | Thailand: Finda | Algeria: Faiza, Bilal | Japan: Masato | India: Bubbly | Brazil: Mykaela | Turkey: Butterfly
Panel PRO: Ayisha, Athena, Zeineb, Liu Caixia, Usaid, Imad, Mohiuddin, Riya, Jami, Behnam
Panel CON: Noorola, Ohnie, Faten, Rose, Grace.
AUDIENCE: Faiza, Johny, Taregh, Finda, Seif, Hiwa, Masato, Bubbly.
Late: Mykaela, Bilal, Butterfly, Esam, Hafsa, Usman
Moderator: Rick, Johny, Marwa
Panel Pro summary (Team A):
- Losing in life gives people motivation to move forward.
- When someone loses the most important thing in their life, they mature and become ready to face other challenges and to achieve their goals.
- Going through some painful situation is potentially a constructive thing; it will make people stronger and it encourages them to take the initiative.
- Experiencing hardship helps people improve their personal growth.
- Taking a risk to improve a quality of life is worthwhile.
- People don’t know what will happen in life thus having experiences helps people to grow internally.
- Losing in life will help someone start a new chapter, begin fresh, because they learn how to solve the problems and find solutions.
- Losing is an essential part of life.
- Negative behavior when losing in life causes psychological damage such as depression.
- A positive attitude would be when people look at the situation as an opportunity to increase their ability to have a stronger personality and offers them a tool to solve bigger problems.
- Sometimes helping someone get rid of difficulties is not a good idea, because in the short term, maybe you help them, but in the longer term, you can cheat them of the opportunity for growth.
- Losing will give your winnings an even better taste.
Panel Pro summary (Team B):
- The fact is that no one wants to lose something important in life.
- We can learn from other people's loss; it’s not always necessary to be the one that loses something.
- It’s not necessary because we can focus on winning and never lose the aim of our goals.
- People must make an effort to succeed and not to lose.
- If you can win without losing why should you experience the situation?
- Give everything you have to be a winner; if you lose in the end at least you did your best.
- People need to learn how to deal with their loss.
- The most important thing is bounce back after losing.
- People with a strong personality will look at losing as an advantage.
- Losing in life is hard to bear it causes unhappiness and sorrow and people should not experience it in life.
Panel PRO summary (Team C):
Before moving to team C, the moderator gave both teams the opportunity to ask one question.
From Team A: How do you define winning without knowing how the feeling of losing?
Tareeq and Ohnie answered the question, but it was not a satisfying answer for the Team A.
Noroola from Team B: why we have to experience losing if we can win without losing the first place?
Behnam answered the question: “everybody loves to win; losing will give your winnings an even better taste.”
In the end of discussion Taregh and Johny voted for team B.
Seif had no decision, Usman and Bilal didn’t vote, the moderator was asked to vote.
In the end, 2 participants voted for Team B and 3 participants did not vote for any team.
Team B won this debate. Thanks everyone for participating! Below are the links to listen to our chat:
For people who did not join the live discussion, feel free to contribute the ideas in the comment blanks below.