Date: Friday, June 5th 2015
Participants (from 9 countries):
India: Sunita | USA: Rebecca, Rebecca's husband, Rick | Pakistan: Waleed | Tunisia: Marwa | Spain: Fernando | Philippines: Lala | Brazil: Leandro | Vietnam: Kelly | Argentina: Johny
Team A: (Yes) Sunita, Rebecca, Waleed
Team B: (Yes) Marwa, Fernando, Rebecca's husband, Lala
Team C: (On the fence) Leandro, Kelly, Rick
Team A summary:
- Some people aren't careful enough when they are younger than 21.
- Some minors don't know how to be responsible with the car and therefore can have accidents.
- Statistically, minors have more accidents and they still don't have the required resources to repay.
- People over the age of 21 understand better about the car itself and therefore know how dangerous it can be and take safety measures.
- Driving is a responsibility and requires some discipline and age to become responsible.
- Many drivers from 16 till 21 years old can cause accidents for being inexperienced drivers.
- Younger drivers often do not want to be accompanied by senior drivers, nor want to follow any discipline for which accidents are more probable to happen.
Team B summary:
- If a person of 18 can go to the military and die for his country as well as to vote, he should be eligible enough to drive a car.
- Younger people can also be responsible and careful at driving.
- Some teenagers are already eligible for having credit cards and jobs; they can perfectly be responsible at driving.
- Most traffic accident happens because of people driving drunk, not for their age.
- Anyone could be an inexperienced driver not matter the age. If they don't drive, they will not have driving experience.
- Waiting for 21 will not necessarily give a driver experience and maturity behind the wheels if they haven't driven ever.
- Maturity for driving has nothing to do with age.
- Accidents happen to everyone for equal, either to adult people or to younger’s than 21.
- Age is not always a good maturity meter.
- Implementing a higher age restriction is not really useful.
- Driving license should be based on the competitive and efficient driving skills.
- Driving skills are measured through practice and driving tests at driving schools and anyone can develop their driving skills regardless of their age.
- When it comes to an emergency at home when you can't wait until the ambulance arrives, anyone who has enough driving skills regardless if s/he younger than 21 could save their lives.
Team C summary:
- Kelly: chose team B
- Leandro: chose team B
- Rick: chose team B
Team B won the debate. Thanks everyone for participating.
Below is the link to listen our chat:
For people who did not join the live discussion, feel free to contribute the ideas in the comment blanks below.