Date: Friday, June 19th 2015
Participants (from 8 countries):
Argentina: Johny | Tunisia: Marwa | Brazil: Leandro | USA: Rick, Rebecca | Vietnam: Huong, Lu Kun | India: Yusuf | Japan: Miho | Morocco: Nadia
Team A-Panel PRO: Leandro, Rebecca, Huong, Sandra
Team B-Panel CON: Marwa, Rick, Lu Kun
Team C-AUDIENCE: Johny, Yusuf, Miho, Nadia
Panel PRO summary:
- When you love your work, you dedicate more attention and energy to what you do, resulting in possible rewards (promotions, better salary, etc.)
- Nowadays, people are too materialist and they rarely focus on job satisfaction, which can make an unhappy person even more depressed.
- A person who may have troubles in his/her life (not about job) may find satisfaction and happiness in doing what they like in their jobs.
- When you do not love what you do you can become easily bored, which makes you feel annoyed at work. In this situation, many things will irritate you, which can create conflict with co-workers, and which could lead to you losing your job.
- When you don’t like what you do, it can stress you out, affect your mental health and ultimately, it can have a negative impact on your overall health, even if you are earning a good salary.
- Not being satisfied with the job you have, may impact your job stability with the company and your long term career goals, because it is going to impact your well-being.
- When you do a job with a lower salary but provides you with a strong sense of job satisfaction, you can maintain the same job for years and over the long term, end up earning even more money.
- In some cases, not being happy with your job could lead you do bad things. (crime)
- Many people don’t like working alongside people who hate their jobs.
- If you do what you like, you will do it better and consequently, grow in your area.
- It's better to do something that you like, that reduces the stress and helps you have a happier life.
- Dangerous jobs pay more.
- If you are happy with your job but it doesn’t give you a large salary, in the case of an emergency, you can ask relatives or friends to lend you some money.
Panel CON summary:
- A lot of people do not enjoy their job but we all have to have a place to live, food, clothing, pay the rent, and have a basic salary to pay our needs. A lot of that can also depend on where we are at in our lives, are we beginning a career, have responsibilities, mid-career or finishing a career?
- It’s ok not to worry about incomes when we do not care about life style.
- People have different Life style choices, and for the ones that want to keep a high life style, they may endure unsatisfactory jobs just to keep that life style.
- It depends on what your priorities and responsibilities are.
- When we don’t have to worry for more than ourselves is ok not to worry about the income however, if someone is depending on us (i.e. family), we have to consider these other priorities and bear unsatisfactory jobs to cover those needs.
- Depends on your goals, if you have big goals, it may require a large amount of money to accomplish them and that may require you to do jobs which you may not like.
- People who don’t have enough money to buy basic needs won’t care much about job satisfaction because they feel satisfied and happy when they get the money to cover those basic needs.
- The more money you have, the happier you are.
- When you don’t care about earning good money, and being promoted or moving up in your job, you become a slave of your bosses, as well as you lose control of your career goals. In the end, the happiness you which you felt at the beginning becomes a feeling of slavery and not making career achievements.
- Self-satisfaction can be achieved not only through jobs and it depends on people’s personalities and not only on money.
- Even if you don’t like your job, you can be satisfied by other means.
- At the end of the month you will still have the money earned for your efforts in your job.
- It's very important to make self sacrifices in order to have more money, which will help to ensure your future and avoid possible sad situations for lack of money.
- Satisfaction is not about where you are working, is about how you do the things that you have to do in your work place.
- Satisfaction depends on people’s attitude. It depends on the circumstances where people can choose what approach to take.
- Mind over matter; you can always tell to yourself that there is a reason for why you do the things you do (when you don’t like it).
- Having money saved for some possible emergencies is more important than going from job to job looking for the one you like.
- Asking money from other people can impact our pride, if we are not earning the money ourselves.
- If you don’t receive a lot of money in your job, when you need a large amount of it, you end up depending on random opportunities and fate.
- Yusuf chose team A.
- Johny chose team A.
- Team A won the debate.
Questions extracted from the writing group homework’s:
- How can a person be happy doing what he does not like despite they make a good amount of money?
- Does the effort pay?
- Some people define success as having high incomes. How can they say that they are successful when they have no job satisfaction?
Below are the links to listen to our chat and the answers to those questions:
For people who did not join the live discussion, feel free to contribute the ideas in the comment blanks below.