I want to share with you a recipe of a very popular Russian dish called Vinaigrette (or "Vinegret"). It's very tasty and really easy to make, and the best thing is that you can make it a day ahead. The next day it will taste even better (but you should keep it in the fridge of course).
So, let's start!
For this dish you will need:
- 3 medium or 2 large beets
- 4 to 6 potatoes (I love potatoes so I always use more)
- 1 large carrot
- 3 large pickled cucumbers (I used homemade ones)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 small onion
- Canned peas
- Greens (dill, green onion)
1. Boil vegetables without peeling them. It takes longer to boil beets so it will be a good idea to start with it, then potatoes, than carrots. It takes about 30 minutes for potatoes to boil, you can check if they're done when a knife goes smoothly through a potatoe. It's important not to overcook it, so be careful.
2. While everything is boiling chop the onion.
3. Chop the pickles and put it in the bowl with chopped onion
4. Add canned peas
5. Now when the vegetables are cooked let them dry and stand until they cool to room temperature. Then peel the skin and chop them all!
6, Chop. Chop. Chop.
7, I don't like the whole salad to be purple so after I added chopped potatoes in the bowl I add 2 tbsp of sunflower oil. This way beets coloring won't get on the other ingredients as much. After you did that you need to add the main ingredient - beets! Chop it pretty well (it's all about chopping) and mix together with the rest of ingredients. Add chopped greens, salt, and mix again. And we're done! Delicious salad is ready to serve.
As I said before it tastes even better after spending a night in a fridge but I can't wait that long and eat it right after it's been prepared!