Date: Saturday, October 10th 2015
Participants (from 11 countries):
Philippines: Mary Ann| Argentina: Johny | Tunisia: Marwa, Amine | Indonesia: Tibi | Sudan: Seif | Cocos Islands: Peter Anas | Pakistan: Ayisha | India: Jay | Iran: Amir Alipur | Algeria: Meriem | Thailand: Finda
Panel PRO: Amir, Meriem, Mary Ann, Peter, Jay, Habibur
Panel CON: Finda, Seif, Marwa
Audience: Johny, Ayisha, Zana, Amine:
- Fear is not always a negative thing, it can have it's advantages.
- Fear can drive you to perform better.
- Fear is helpful for those who are afraid of failing exams because they will perform better in their exams in order to avoid other people's ridicule.
- Fear pushes people to do their best in order to succeed.
- Learning how to overcome your fears is the key to success in all subjects.
- Fear teaches you that you are your own first enemy. Once you overcome it, success becomes easier to achieve.
- Some people will use the emotion of fear as a motivating factor.
- Fear is important in the learning process. It teaches people to be brave and overcome mental obstacles.
- Fear and courage are the two sides of the same coin: Fear is what makes us focus in what we need.
- Fear helps us to be focused because it reminds us of what can be lost.
- Fear can be one path to perfection. If we want to be perfect at something, we need to fear something.
- Religious people can use the fear of their God in order to help them become more compassionate and caring people.
- Not everyone uses it as an incentive.
- Many people are so afraid that it becomes an overwhelming obstacle to success.
- If the fear is greater than their other motivations, it can stop their progress.
- In workplaces where there are people from different nationalities, a person can be so afraid of their opinions that they feel insecure about themselves and it can affect their trust towards one another.
- Fear awakens many other negative emotions and the sum of these can obstruct someone’s progress.
- Some people just cannot overcome it.
- Fear leads to shyness and hesitation. These negative emotions can prevent a person from taking advantage of opportunities in life.
- Fear entraps people.
- Fear of disappointments makes people hold back and prevents them from accomplishing their immediate task.
- It leads to hesitation and by hesitation people avoid doing things.
- Fear prevents people from thinking clearly.
- Fear can make people lose money and it keeps people from seizing business opportunities.
- Amine remained undecided.
- Ayisha and Zana left early.
- Johny voted for both teams.
Both teams were the winners of this debate, congratulations!
Thanks everyone for participating. To listen to this debate, click on the links below:
Fear is a healthy Emotion | October 10th 2015 | Recording file
For people who did not join the live discussion, feel free to contribute the ideas in the comment blanks below.